Offline maps & navigation
With a Bikemap Premium membership you have the possibility to make routes and even map areas available offline, so that you can navigate them without internet connection. This not only saves data usage and roaming fees, but also saves battery consumption.
Making routes available for offline use
- Ensure that you have a good internet connection and enough free space on your device.
- Also note that it is only possible to download routes with a total length of up to 300km and a file size of up to 200 MB.
Tip: You can split a long route into smaller sections and then download them one by one. With the function "Use this route as a template" you can split a route in a few clicks.
- Preferably download one route after the other. If you download more than one route at a time, the download may be interrupted.
- Choose a route in the app
- In the detailed view of the route, activate the "offline" switch.
- Wait a moment until the route data and the appropriate map area is loaded onto your device.
- After the download, you can disconnect from the internet or switch to flight mode to navigate your downloaded route offline.
In the app, tap on "Profile". Selecting "My routes" -> "Offline" you will find all routes available offline at a glance.
Deleting offline routes
By deactivating the offline switch in the route details, you cancel the offline availability and delete the locally stored data of this route.
Making maps available for offline use
In addition to individual routes, you can also download entire map sections and use them without an active internet connection. The downloaded map sections are saved in your profile and can be viewed, edited and deleted at any time under the menu item "Premium" -> "Manage offline maps".
The download of a map section is only possible up to a certain size. The selected area must not exceed the maximum download size of around 100 MB.
The orange "Download map" button disappears as soon as the map section and thus the maximum download size is exceeded. As a Premium member you can download as many offline maps as you want, though.
Preferably download one map section after the other. If you download more than one map at a time, the download may be interrupted.
Downloading map sections
Under the menu item "Map" you can start the download of the currently displayed map section simply by tapping on the corresponding button. You might need to zoom in a bit for the download button to be available.
Alternatively you can also proceed in this way:
- In the bottom menu open the tab "Premium" and there you can "Manage offline maps".
- Tap on the "+" symbol in the upper right corner.
- Move the map and select the desired map section. You can zoom in and out to adjust the download size.
- Tap on the "Download" button to start the download.
As soon as the download of the map section is complete, you can deactivate the mobile data connection and use the offline navigation. Tap and hold down your finger for a second on any offline map section and Bikemap will navigate you to your destination - voice navigation included.
Address entry on offline maps is not yet available unfortunately.
Please note that all offline routes and offline maps will be lost when logging out of the app.
The offline function is available to all Bikemap Premium members. You can read about all the advantages of Bikemap Premium here.
Please submit a request to our support team if you have any questions or feedback regarding the offline functionalities. We are happy to help!